What is WSIB and How Does it Work?
- WSIB stands for Workplace safety & Insurance Board. This is an Ontario government agency that used to be called the Workers Compensation Board. Even to this current date many people succumb to their injuries or illness at their respective workplaces; this is especially necessary in high risk work environments. Thus this agency was established, the WSIB.
- WSIB is an agency that helps and protects workers; especially those who work in high risk environments. It makes sure the workers receive good compensation in case of an accident at the workplace. In addition to which the worker is also liable to benefits for loss of earnings due to the accident as per the Ontario Workplace safety and Insurance Act.
- In fact the employer contributes towards an insurance fund which is usually province wide and their premiums are usually based on the employer’s payroll and their safety history as well.
- The way this works is that the injured worker is compensated by the WSIB on a no fault basis; in the sense compensation is paid no matter who’s fault it is. In addition to which the employer is shielded from other liabilities. This effectively means that the employer cannot be sued for negligence.
Working of WSIB:
The working of the WSIB is quite straight forward as explained in slightly more detail here:
- The employers contribute to a province wide insurance fund which may differ depending on the type of company. For example if it is a mining company the contribution would be slightly higher as compared to a restaurant.
- In case of an incident the compensation is paid to the worker no matter who’s fault it is. The employer too benefits from the deal since he is then shielded from liability of any kind.
- In every incident the employer has the right to question the cause and place of the incident. The employer can very prove that the incident took place while the employee was not on the work premises if he has such information.
- Both the WSIB and the employer work together towards getting the worker making sure the worker recovers fast and is able to go back to his regular duties. In some cases it is also necessary for the employer to accommodate the worker by assigning him simpler tasks.
- The worker has additional rights, in the sense that if the claims for benefits are either rejected or stopped for some reason the worker has every right to contact the Union for assistance and advice.
Injury at work claim?
- There are several procedures and routines that the worker should be aware of if they ever have the need to file a claim. To start with it is necessary to immediately notify the employer about the accident or occupational disease.
- In case of an injury the employer will usually have a first aid kit that the worker can use however if further assistance was necessary the incident needs to be reported to the WSIB within three days.
- Besides which the worker should obtain a professional health report from the doctor that he has treated him. Additionally he should also report it to the union or health and safety representative.
How Safety first Consulting can help you to file a WSIB Claims?
Safety First Consulting has a paralegal team that provides complete WSIB claims management system. This system is designed to reduce and control an employer’s costs associated with workplace injuries and illnesses as well as provide benefit to the injured employees. The service includes the following:
- Assistance with the completion of all WSIB claims forms.
- To liaise with WSIB and health care practitioners.
- Complete development and implementation of work reintegration program with modified work packages.
- The monitoring and follow up of modified work progress.
- Reviewing of the functional abilities.
- Providing appropriate representation and the important meetings like the return to work meeting as well as work translation meetings with WSIB.
- Plan for work reintegration and assistance.
- Review of the second injury and enhancement fund (SIEF) cost relief.
- Provides appropriate representation at WSIB and WSIAT appeal hearings.
Filing a WSIB claims is easier that you can imagine if you have followed all the necessary steps mentioned earlier.
- The worker needs to complete and sign the Worker’s report of injury or disease. Such a WSIB forms can be obtained from the WSIB website. There is also the option of calling on the toll free number 1-800-387-0750 to get the form.
- It is necessary that you give your doctor special permission to share information regarding the treatment or functional abilities the employer. This basically is information about the worker’s limitations due to the injury.
- In general the worker cannot receive more than two weeks of benefit without actually agreeing to the release of information from the consulting doctor.
- WSIB will provide a claim number once a claim is submitted which basically means that you claim is being processed.
- If due to some reason the claim is rejected, the worker can appeal within six months of the WSIB’s decision.
Thus WSIB claims process is something that has been established by keeping both the employees and employers in mind.
There are several advantages of opting for Safety Consulting , the main advantage being that while you can be sure that your interest is safe with us you can be concentrating on new clients and the day to day business.
Safety First Consulting Professional Corporation is a licensed paralegal firm regulated by the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC). Our paralegal team provides a widespread WSIB claims Ontario management system that is designed to reduce and control an employer’s costs associated with workplace injuries and illnesses. Our pro-active program begins at the point of occurrence and continues to the final resolution of the claim with a rapid response.