One needs to be mentally prepared for the upcoming tasks in the office to be finished by the end of the day. And in between that all if a worker has to face continuous harassment it definitely should be taken to a higher level. What is bullying and harassment? Do we enough know about it? Cracking unfunny jokes, being talkative is not a harassment, or dysfunctional coffee machine too is not a harassment.
What qualifies as workplace harassment?
We will give you a few examples of it;
Generally, people at workplace keep facing continuous harassment which not only affects their working but makes them mentally weak and that leads to a bad performance at the workplace. Harassing just once with the offensive and insulting words and action is not however counted as a harassment, but there are a few cases where the talk should be taken to the higher authority immediately, such as sexual harassment.
Now it is always into talks that is bullying similar to harassment?
At some point, yes, it is. A group in a bunch keep insulting a person commenting on race, sex, religion, relationship with the family/partner numerous times is considered as a bullying.
There is no point one should leave the job just because someone else behaved unmannerly. When you notice it happening more than just once, take to the personal meeting with the bully and state calmly that you might want to take this to the higher level and that might affect his job. Remember, never to raise voice or revert with the similar actions as this would keep you in the same place of bully.
What qualifies as harassment in the workplace?
This list will help you learn what comes under harassment at workplace;
1. Someone who is continuously taunting you for the skin color.
2. Being criticized from where you are.
3. Being criticized on the political beliefs.
4. Being criticized for following a religion.
5. Keep hearing and facing taunts on Gender. For example, in a recent case, a woman lodged a case against her male co-workers who kept harassing her after she received a promotion.
6. Being harassed sexually/physically is an offensive crime and an action should be taken immediately once identified.
7. Being harassed for the age difference, mental and physical disability also comes under harassment list.
8. Also, no one has right to speak over anyone’s personal, marital and family status.
Safety First Consulting is running many organizational pieces of training and providing certificates for many years. They believe a healthy workplace brings more goodwill to the company. Out of many programs, they offer Workplace Violence and Harassment training. They are a TSSA Accredited Training Provider and proudly associated with the Training partners such as CHSC, CPTA, Habitat for Humanity and Canadian Society of Safety Engineering.