Workplace health and safety is for the benefit of everyone concerned from the employees to the employers and other concerned people. There are a few occupations that have very high risk and often have a high number of incidents. At the same time there are occupations that register very few to no incidents. However work place safety is a good practice and should be implemented at all places.
In spite of all the necessary precautions there are many fatal accidents each year. At times these are due to the worker error, lack of training, but they are also often due to negligence by the employees. Here are few statistics that will help paint the right picture.
Health and Safety statistics at Workplace:
- The statistics published in 2012 showed that approximately 4628 workers were killed in workplace incidents that year.
- A more recent figure is when more than 250 miners were killed in a mine in Turkey about a year ago in May 2014. These were workers from all round the world including Turkey.
Benefits of Good Health and Safety:
An organizations has many issues to deal with and the bigger it gets the number of issues increase. From issues relating to the main product of the organization to administrative and general relations issues, it is understandable that the management or executives of the company may not have enough time to devote to the issues like health and safety. This is often overlooked or postponed due to the over confidence in their infrastructure and work methods. Needless to say that is a very big mistake since this is an issue that needs to be addressed first either by the management themselves or via hired help. The benefits of doing this are endless:
- Improvements in employee productivity.
- Reduce in cost of the employees as far as health care or disability is concerned.
- Better work environment and less incidents means the employees with have fewer if not no reasons to take leaves.
- This also means decrease in the number of illness and injuries at the workplace.
- Improves the overall corporate image of the firm.
- This improves employee retention as well as encourages other skilled employees to consider working with you.
- This helps create an environment of care and support thus helps in improving trust and teamwork.
How Safety First can help:
Safety First is one of the few firms that has the experience and means to help organizations in the matter of health and safety. Their courses are specially structured to help employees gain a better understanding of their respective working environments and thus prevent and incident from occurring. They have a strong team of certified health and safety consultant that can help businesses of all sizes and a wide range of industries as well. Their certified professionals are capable of providing all the necessary help and support to many different types of businesses; hence no matter what your business you are sure to receive plenty of workplace safety tips.