Occupational health and safety standards exists for the benefit of all the people. That includes the employees as well as the employers. The way it stands it is the legal responsibility of the employer to educate all their employees about the work place safety standards and the hazards involved while carrying out their job.
Occupational health and safety ideally should be aimed at promoting and maintaining the highest level of physical, mental and social well being of the workers no matter what the occupation is. Some occupations are have more risk involved than the others like; the construction site is a very risky place to and as per the statistics has a lot of fatalities as well.
But that doesn’t mean that the low risk occupations work places can go easy, they too need to take the proper precautions. As per the published statistics approximately 4628 workers were killed while on the job in 2012.
Benefits of a Health and safety program:
It is beyond doubt that the health safety of the workers is of utmost importance in any organization. This is the reason why there are so many rules and regulations surrounding that. Furthermore, besides the rules and regulations it is the moral duty of every employer to take the basic precautions that help prevent harm to come to their employees. But it is not always easy to prepare the employees so that they can face the risks involved at the work place and some even lack the necessary skill to do so.
Thus an effective health and safety training ontario program can go a long way in reducing the number of injuries and fatalities. The benefits of a good training program also extends to prevent property damage, illnesses, legal liabilities, compensation claims of workers as well as save downtown for the company due to incapacitated employees.
In addition to which the safety training sessions help establish a safety culture and atmosphere. Such an atmosphere is very healthy and helps the employees themselves promote proper safety procedures while on the job. This is especially important for the new employees. However it is the responsibility of the company to make sure the health and safety training is provided to the employees during induction itself.
- Lower the health care as well as disability costs of the employees.
- Enhances the employee productivity.
- Encourages the employees to take lesser leaves.
- There will be lesser number of illnesses and injuries.
- Paints a better corporate image.
- Plays a good role in improving the employee morale.
- More number of workers are likely to want to work with the company and lesser likely to leave.
- This helps lower the cost of the company for acute heath issues.
- Also helps lover the overall health care services.
- Helps create a safer and more supportive work environment.
Effective Safety Training:
The first reaction to the training necessary for employees is always like “That is no big deal!”. Many employees under estimate the need for a professional training.
Thus there are several training guidelines that goes as follows:
- Determine if training is really needed: It is important to first establish whether or not a given problem can be solved via sufficient training. It is often the case that employees don ‘t take the work environment into consideration while using an equipment.
- Figuring out the training needs: It is important to be aware of the risks involved in every task and location in a organization. An analysis connected by a professional with an eye for such things can prove to be invaluable in most cases.
- Correctly identify the goals and objectives: With clear sight of the goals and objectives a trainer can notify the class of the objective and scope of the training from the very beginning. This helps prevent any confusion and keeps to keep the classes attention.
- Learning Activities: A simple lecture does not constitute as a good training session. The hands approach is better accepted and easier to understand. Thus it is a good idea to make use of simulators, images and videos. A demo of the actual thing may not always be possible hence these learning activities are great help.
- Training material: In an ideal world the training will also involve the distribution of some reading material and encourage the employees to make a note of the things most relevant to them.
- Evaluation: Evaluation is important because it helps to estimate the effectiveness of the training sessions. There are several methods of evaluation that do not have to be very direct like questionnaires, observations made by supervisors or a formal assessment. This can also help make improvements to the workplace environment.
- Optimizing the program: By analyzing the vital feedback received from the employees via various sources it is possible to optimize the training program itself.
The use of computer and video training for health and safety program:
This the modern era where the use of computer and technology is on the rise. The health and safety program is no exception. The computers and videos can be used in a very effective manner while conducting a company’s health and safety training program. Some of the possible uses are:
- The training of the employees in remote locations.
- Employees have the opportunity to actively go through the material themselves.
- When it is hard to train every single employee in a short period of time, technology comes to the rescue.
- This also lowers the overall training and travel costs.
- It provides a self paced and more relaxed training environment.
How Safety First can help:
Safety First is one of the few organizations that has the experience and means to help organizations in the matter of health and safety. Their courses are specially structured to help employees gain a better understanding of their respective working environments and thus prevent and incident from occurring. They have a strong team of certified health and safety consultant that can help businesses of all sizes and a wide range of industries as well.
About the Author
Sophie Moore is a Digital Marketing Analyst, in charge of many digital marketing projects that involve SEO, Social Media and mobile web strategy. Moore has a background in IT, strong experience on website development and web interface, degrees in both traditional and digital marketing at Duke University, North Carolina.
Moore has a wide experience of internet projects and keeps herself up to date with the latest technologies and trends. Moore always explains that social media is her passion, SEO a motivation and a dynamic challenge where she is involved every day.
If you like this blog, please Plus it ,Like it , Tweet it ,or best yet ,link to it