Electricity a boon to mankind and silent killer at work place:
Electricity has brought light to the lives of many people around the world and I mean this both literally and in practical sense. It has opened the door to a large number of possibilities and since revolutionized our lives in more ways than one. But even in this day and age (year 2015) there are many small villages and towns around the world which do not have electricity.
Most part of the developed world does heavy depend on electricity. In fact our industries and factories would not exist if it wasn’t for electricity. Electricity is a boon however it has now also become the reason why many people lose their lives every year. Electricity shocks and lighting strikes have been one of the major causes of fatal injuries at workplaces around the world.
As per the statistics collected the number of accidental electrocutions that take place each year is as high as 300. Besides which over 4000 injuries related to electricity are also reported on an average each year. [SRC: http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/24759/Safety-tips-electrical-injuries%5D.
Type of injuries caused due to electric shock and lightening:
- Damaged nervous system that includes, the brain, nerves and even spinal cord.
- Seriously damaged respiratory system as well cardiovascular.
- Failure of Kidney.
- Deterioration of muscle tissue.
- Muscle spasms of great severity that cause broken bones.
Tips to be safe around electricity:
When the work place is exposed to live wire or activities that involve using electricity like during installation or repair of an electrical equipment it important to make sure that the employees and workers are well aware of the electricity safety tips. In addition to which the workers also need to be aware about the lightning safety facts too. It is quite amazing how being aware and prepared for dangers to come can save a lot of lives.
- Keep a look out for possible electrical risks. The safest practice is to make sure you either have an eye to detect possible electrical hazards or make sure you get the right person to do it.
- Monitor all electric instruments for any damage or bad wiring, cut cords and bad plugs too. These are the most common cause for an accident that involves electricity.
- Electricity and water are two things that never go together should never be attempted either.
Lighting safety tips with safetyfirst consulting:
There are several workplaces that exposed to the open air for example a high rise under construction. Although in most cases proper precautions is taken during rough weather and fatal incidents avoided at times when the bad weather gets worst very fast, many workers are often left exposed to lightning strikes.
Safety First is one of the leading consulting firms for safety at the work place. There are two things that you can be sure off when you pick Safety First Consulting. For one you will get the full attention of our experienced, skilled and highly trained safety consultants. The second being that you will always find that the safety consultant will have an eye to spot potential hazards no matter which industry it may be.
Safety First Consulting can provide OSHA electrical safety training for all your workers. Call us today to arrange training 905-669-5444.
Feel free to contact our safety consultant team here .