Basic Elements of OH&S Program:
We hear bad news quite frequently in the newspaper or on TV about a fatal accident at a work place. This is a fact of life and comes from working at risky and highly dangerous environments. But it can be prevented and it is important for everyone to know especially the young work force, that measures are being taken in the form of a occupational health and safety program to keep people safe.
This may bring a lot questions to your mind like below:
- What is an occupational health and safety program?
- What does a health and safety officer do?
- What is occupational safety?
These are perfectly common questions the answers to which you will figure out when you get to the end of this article.
Responsibilities of management:
- Making sure the workplace is safe from any hazards and that there is no potential health risk.
- A health and safety program is a must for every organization and is usually up to the management to arrange that.
- It is also the responsibility of the management to ensure that the workers receive the appropriate training and are certified.
- Make available the appropriate protective material.
- Provide the workers as well as the supervisors the health and safety information.
- Monitoring the supervisors in terms of their attitude towards health and safety.
Responsibilities of a Safety Coordinator
- Provide vital information regarding health and safety issues to the employees.
- Being the person who binds all the health and safety activities that take place throughout the firm.
- Keeping a note of the health and safety issues in the form of statistics.
- Researching issues in question and providing expert training to the employees
The purpose of the workplace health and safety committee:
A workplace health and safety committee is required to establish an effective safety program. This usually requires the cooperation of all the employees. Depending on the size of the organization such a committee is mandatory. In order to function at its best a committee requires the appropriate structure, a clear purpose and list of duties and follow standard procedure when it comes to meetings. Doing this forms a committee that is very effective at dealing with any issues of health and safety at the work place.
Establishing the correct work procedure:
The correct work procedure is established by laying out the safest method to do a job, provide job instructions and even monitor the performance and accident investigation if the need be.
It is important to carry out a job hazard analysis to start with. Here are few steps to follow:
- Select the job.
- Break the job down into several sequence of steps and small tasks.
- Identify the hazards in each step
- Establish the preventive measures.
The reason it is necessary to establish the correct work procedure are quite simple in fact. To start with it is required by the government to do so. Rules are necessary to protect the health and safety of the workers. In fact the compliance to the health and safety rules should ideally be considered as a condition for employment in the first place. The basic mail would be as listed below:
- Make sure the employee is aware of the rules
- Make sure the employees to obey the rules since it is for their own benefit.
The employee orientation program:
The orientation of an employee is very important and it applies to every workplace. The employee may be fit and qualified for a job however that does not mean he is already aware of the ways of this new work place. Every work place in general has a unique environment and ways of handling things. At times there a subtle thing that go unsaid and are not understood by the new employee simply because there is no orientation. Things like these can lead to a big issue and even a fatal accident.
Hence the employee orientation a must and here are few safety related issues that should always be included in the program;
- The workplace emergency procedures.
- Location of the first aid stations.
- Responsibilities related to health and safety of themselves and other co-workers.
- The hazards present at the work place.
- The correct and safe method followed for every procedure and instrument or machine.
Designing a Training program:
The training program for health and safety is necessary to raise awareness. It is vital that the employees are aware of the perils at their work place and how it is possible for them to stay safe. They should be informed about the precautions to take and the consequences of not doing so. In fact it is important to use statistics available or published publically, to help drive in the point.
For example the recently published statistics show that approximately 4620 people lost their lives at the work place in the year 2012. This is fairly recent and still the count is quite high. In an even more recent incident more than 250 miners lost their lives in Turkey in May 2014 due to an incident at a mine. This included workers from all around the world.
It is not always the fault of a worker that an accident occurs. For example in Turkey it was found a safety inspection which was long overdue had not been conducted by the officials.
Either way it is important the workers have the proper training to prevent an incident of any kind.
The government lays out the topics that should be general included a health and safety training session.
Why Safety First?
Safety first is one firm that is well placed to help organizations on the subject of health and safety. In fact Safety First has several industrial safety training courses to offer so that all concerned in an office or a factory have a better understanding of the same. The have a certified team of safety professionals and safety professional consultants who have a lot of experience and have developed an eye to spot danger from a mile away.
The professionals at Safety First Consulting can show you how to navigate the sometimes technical and often confusing OSHA regulations with occupational health and safety training. They can help you figure out what regulations apply in your workplace and what you need to do to comply. Just know About us, take one of our classes, or request a Contact us form.
About the author
Sophie Moore is a Digital Marketing Analyst, in charge of many digital marketing projects that involve SEO, Social Media and mobile web strategy. Moore has a background in IT, strong experience on website development and web interface, degrees in both traditional and digital marketing at Duke University, North Carolina.
Moore has a wide experience of internet projects and keeps herself up to date with the latest technologies and trends. Moore always explains that social media is her passion, SEO a motivation and a dynamic challenge where she is involved every day.