It often happens that one is confused about what does COR stands for. It is quite simple really, “COR” is an abbreviation and stands for – Certificate of Recognition. This is in fact a program that has been designed especially for the oil and gas employers. The main objectives of the COR program are:
- Improve the health and safety performance
- Develop a workplace environment and culture that promote proactive health and safety activities
- Reduces the risk level and hence cost as far as workplace incidents is concerned.
Hence the short answer to the burning question “What is COR Certification” is quite simply and COR is a certification of recognition for the oil and gas industry that ensures that the employers have in place a health and safety program that is up to the provincial standards.
Significance of Workplace safety:
Workplace health and safety is very important from any way you look at it. It is necessary to ensure the safety of your workers and employers at all times. There are many countries around the world that enforce health and safety standards that just about every firm not matter how small or big has to follow. To stress on how important it is to have a health and safety standard of some kind in place, here are a few health and safety statistics from Great Britain for 2014 and 2015 despite the fact that it is necessary for all employers to have an active health and safety program at their workplace:
- The number of people suffering from workplace illnesses was at 1.2 million in this period.
- There were approximately 2538 deaths simply due to past asbestos exposures.
- As per the reports of the injuries that were recorded, there were approximately 76000 injuries to employees in some form or the other.
- Approximately 142 workers were killed at workplace.
- The loss in productivity was also high, since approximately 27 million work days were lost due to injuries and bad health.
- The estimated cost of the work place injuries and ill health for the period of 2013 and 2014 is approximately 14 billion pounds.
[SRC: UK Government – Health and Safety Executive Website – http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/
This was a look the health and safety statistics in a country that has taken all preventive measures.
Benefits of COR (certification):
There are several benefits of the COR Certification which ensure the health and safety of the workplace. The main benefits have been listed here:
This program makes it easier (and essential) for the employers to implement a health and safety program which is up to the provincial standards.
At the end of the day, the safety of the workers at their respective workplaces is increased.
For a company and the employer it means that there will be fewer workplace incidents and hence reduction in cost of work place safety.
Furthermore this also helps productivity in the longer run.
Save the company for any legal hassle and also safe valuable company time to search for a temporary or permanent replacement for injured worker.
With COR it is possible for your company share a common audit across tree western provinces which is a big time saver.
Improve the financial performance of the firm.
Safety First helps with workplace safety:
There are several firms who are unaware of what is COR. Safety First offers COR certification assistance to all companies so that they can implement the COR Program (Certificate of Recognition). They can equip a company with all the right tools and techniques and also provide first-hand experience and insight on what to expect.