What is WSIB & it’s benefits?
WSIB is short for “The Work Safety and Insurance Board” and is an independent agency that is involved in administering compensation and no fault insurance to the Ontario workers and workplaces in Ontario and in fact it extends throughout Canada. The service they provide benefits the workers as well as the employers and comes at a small cost. The advantage being they are highly accessible and fast. The services they provide to the workers and the employees include the following:
- The employer cannot be threatened by any employee for work related injury or illness. This means the employer cannot be sued either.
- The employee on the other hand will receive loss of earnings benefit in case of an accident.
- They provide the employee other benefits as well when work place incidents occur, like coverage for health care costs and even supporting and helping them to get back to work.
- The get back to work help provided includes training for new skills if required or adjusting the duties at the workplace due to the injury if necessary.
Why WSIB is required?
Now that we know what is WSIB?, why is it required? Workplace safety is a major topic and more number firms and workers are now aware of this. However even though the safety level may have been increased or the employees awareness process being followed there are still many accidents at the workplace. Here are some statistics to support these facts:
- Approximately 4628 workers lost their lives due to workplace incidents in 2012.
- More recently, over 250 workers lost their lives in a mine in Turkey when the mine collapsed in May 2014. These were workers from all around the world including Turkey.
Thus the WSIB benefits clearly make it beneficial to both the employee and the employer. It provides a clear list of guidelines to make the process simple.
The WSIB Certification:
In order for a Joint Committee member to be able to approve certification training programs, there is a certain standard that must be met. This standard is developed by the WSIB. In addition to which if a certified organization does not meet the standards laid out by WSIB, they can reduce its funding or take over operations of the facility.
WSIB training handles almost all the matters pertaining to the safety at the workplace. This includes the training of the employees and employers alike. In addition to which it can allocate funds for the first aid training. This training can also be done via approved certification training programs.
WSIB also has the authority to accredit employers that meet the standards for the health and safety policy and operate successful programs related to health and safety. But that’s now all they are also the ones who develop the standard.
WSIB has several other functions as well that mentioned here:
- They fund occupational health and safety research.
- Advising the Minister of Labour on matters pertaining to occupational health and safely.
- Increase awareness of occupational health and safely amongst the people
The role Safety First Consulting pays with WSIB:
Safety First Consulting is a company that gives priority to safety of your company. They have an experienced team of dedicated professionals who are aware of every new and existing rule in the book and can prove to be an invaluable guide as far as WSIB is concerned. They make that extra effort to make sure everyone concerned is treated well. They offer a wide range of services, including help with WSIB.
Safety First Consulting Professional Corporation is a licensed paralegal firm regulated by the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC). Our paralegal team provides a widespread WSIB claims Ontario management system that is designed to reduce and control an employer’s costs associated with workplace injuries and illnesses. Our pro-active program begins at the point of occurrence and continues to the final resolution of the claim with a rapid response.
About the author
Sophie Moore is a Digital Marketing Analyst, in charge of many digital marketing projects that involve SEO, Social Media and mobile web strategy. Moore has a background in IT, strong experience on website development and web interface, degrees in both traditional and digital marketing at Duke University, North Carolina.
Moore has a wide experience of internet projects and keeps herself up to date with the latest technologies and trends. Moore always explains that social media is her passion, SEO a motivation and a dynamic challenge where she is involved every day.